[birdky] Re: Union Co.: Big Rivers WMA & SF

  • From: "Weese, Zeb (EEC)" <Zeb.Weese@xxxxxx>
  • To: "birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 12:20:40 +0000

The Kentucky Heritage Land Conservation Fund is conducting a baseline
biological inventory across multiple taxonomic groups at Big Rivers WMA. We do
that on all of the significant natural areas we purchase to help guide land
management decisions.

We actually decided to focus the bat work on late summer, so most of our
efforts this week have been spent on inventorying small mammals, reptiles,
amphibians, and birds. Critters we collect are identified, usually banded or
marked as appropriate, and then released.

- sent from my mobile device

Zeb Weese, Biologist Consultant
Kentucky Heritage Land Conservation Fund
Department for Natural Resources
502-564-2320
http://heritageland.ky.gov
www.facebook.com/KentuckyHeritageLands

From: Millie <kymillie@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [birdky] Re: Union Co.: Big Rivers WMA & SF
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 14:24:49 -0400

Why were they capturing bats?
✰*⌒*✰‿✰*⌒*✰‿✰*
Millie, from my iPad
✰*⌒*✰‿✰*⌒*✰‿✰*

On Apr 29, 2015, at 2:18 PM, Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Near the Ohio River I came upon a pair of mist-nets and microphone and
“Song Meter�.
The mist-nets were furled.

Later I ran into a couple of guys and ask about the mist-nets. They were
using the mist-nets for bats. During the day they were trapping small mammals
and in the evening until about 1AM they were capturing bats.

Highlights:
FOS 2 Summer Tanagers
FOS not at home: 1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird (male)
Kentucky Warblers numbers good
1 Louisiana Waterthrush
3 Wood Thrushes started calling about 9:30AM
White-eyed Vireos - plenty

KY Big Rivers WMA & State Forest (Union Co.), Union, US-KY
Apr 29, 2015 6:50 AM - 10:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
Comments: Walked the "Railroad trail" almost to the Ohio River.
35 species

Hooded Merganser 1 On the Tradewater River
Wild Turkey 2
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 1
Turkey Vulture 5
Red-tailed Hawk 1