[birdky] Re: Thoughts On Hunting Cranes

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Joan Carr <joan-of-art@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 14:34:59 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the note Joan.  I'll reply to all since this is a fairly common
question.  I only know one person who has eaten a Sandhill Crane and he didn't
like it, but I'm sure some people do.  I'd say that most hunters who harvest
these birds in the western states eat them and I don't believe that killing and
not consuming them is an issue.

But many protected birds would be good to eat.  Audubon gave an account of Red
Phalaropes collected at Louisville making "capital eating".  I'd say robins are
probably delicious and they're migratory, but we don't need to hunt them either.

David Roemer
Bowling Green