[birdky] Thoughts On Hunting Cranes

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 07:50:29 -0700 (PDT)

Being in a somewhat unique position on the Kentucky crane hunting issue (stuck
in the middle and directly involved with both sides) I'd like to share some
thoughts on wildlife management, hunting, and the cranes.

It's important for the Kentucky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Resources (kdfwr) to
realize that most of the opposition to hunting cranes does not lie with
anti-hunters, it is specific to the cranes.  The kdfwr does not have a more
ardent fan than me.  I've purchased either a fishing or combination
hunting/fishing license for the past 40 years as well as duck stamps, trout
stamps and Peabody permits through the years.  I began fishing when not much
older than a toddler when my dad would take me to the pond to catch redears
(shellcrackers) and began hunting at around 8 years of age.  Because of the
time spent in the outdoors exposed to wildlife, I became an avid birder by the
time I was 6 or 7 years old.  I was fortunate to have access to a family farm
where my grandmother raised gaited horses which we both showed.  Family farms,
gaited horses and horse shows are now little more than memories for most
people, and buried in this fact lies a quandary for
 Fish and Wildlife departments.  With the urbanization of this country, fewer
kids grow up fishing and hunting and this is an unfortunate trend that will
certainly continue.  I believe that for Fish and Wildlife service funding to
thrive in the future, wildlife management ideas must be adjusted.

A little on hunting.  To be honest, I'm bothered by some anti-hunting
statements from those who believe that all hunters are no more than killers
with no appreciation for wildlife.  I was probably the most avid duck hunter in
Kentucky for 30 years.  Did I shoot many ducks?...almost none, I did most of my
hunting with a camcorder.  There is no more exhilarating experience associated
with waterfowl, and I don't mean just waterfowl hunting, than having a huge
flock working overhead, the sound of the wind through their wings and
vocalizations as they answer your call, then dropping in all around you.  This
is what it's all about for most hunters, not the killing, and I've sat and just
watched many times the number of flocks than I've pulled a trigger on.  I've
shared a blind with some of the best waterfowlers in the country, and their
skill at identifying birds on the wing at extreme distances with the naked eye
would boggle the minds of biologists and
birders alike who have never shared a blind with people like this.  Non-hunters
need to realize that many hunters are primarily nature lovers and
conservationists and should be appreciated for the contributions they make.

On the cranes.  I am adamantly opposed to hunting cranes in the east.  The
cranes are special, they must be since most hunters are opposed to hunting
them.  I don't question the crane numbers that kdfwr presents, I've been
involved in their surveys.  I do, however, somewhat question the ability of the
Eastern Population of Sandhills to continue in growth even without hunting, and
the ability to sustain present numbers with hunting.

The kdfwr states that hunting cranes during the period proposed will have
minimal or no impact on crane viewing opportunities.  This is simply not true.
Hunting the Eastern Population will have a drastic impact on their behavior
which will affect viewing in all the states that share these birds, and this is
my primary reason for opposing hunting them.  The Eastern Population hasn't
been hunted in almost a century and the birds can be viewed relatively closely
at present when feeding in fields.  If hunted they will become unapproachable
like waterfowl.  This will change crane viewing by the public as well as events
like Barren State Park's Crane Weekends in which I'm involved in leading field
trips.

The kdfwr mission statement is "To conserve and enhance fish and wildlife
resources and provide opportunity for hunting, fishing, trapping, boating and
other wildlife related activities."  To conserve and enhance, and provide other
wildlife related activities, this is what the department needs to concentrate
on regarding the cranes.

I believe the kdfwr will be cutting off their own feet if a crane hunting
season is initiated by alienating all but the relatively few who will hunt
them.  Rather than losing support which will surely happen, the kdfwr should
embrace the support of the non-consumptive population by developing and
promoting crane watching in Kentucky.

I think rather than initiating a crane season, kdfwr should create and issue
for sale an annual Ky Conservation Stamp which could be purchased by resident
and non-resident non-hunters to support kdfwr funding without feeling like
they're contributing to hunting.  This is not the same as a duck stamp or
waterfowl permit.  In turn, the kdfwr could promote more non-consumptive
wildlife activities.  When looking into the future, the kdfwr stands to obtain
much greater funding from this than from crane hunting given the widening gap
of hunters and non-hunters in this country.

The kdfwr will meet in May and decide in June if there will be a crane season.
If you are opposed to hunting cranes in Kentucky, please write a respectful
letter to the commissioners and the governor stating your opposition.  If you
are a hunter or are not opposed to hunting in general, be sure to include this
information.

Addresses and other contact information for letters may be found at:
http://kyc4sandhillcranes.wordpress.com/call-to-action/

More information on cranes and the proposed season may be found at:
http://kyc4sandhillcranes.wordpress.com/

If a season is initiated and you didn't send letters of opposition, don't
complain as you didn't do your part in preventing it.

David Roemer
Bowling Green