[birdky] Re: The New Sibley 2nd Edition

  • From: Rob Lane <shrikeguy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "markdt7@xxxxxxxxxxx" <markdt7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 09:26:34 -0400

caveat emptor!!

I purchased my copy of the Sibley 2nd edition of Tuesday the day it came out.
It was right after a morning of birding and presentation with Greg Miller of
The Big Year fame.

I was so excited, I raced into Carmichael's Bookstore in Louisville purchased
my copy, drove my car home and........was very very disappointed!!

The colors especially pinks, reds, oranges, and rufous were all very dark. The
heads of some of the geese like tundra and taiga bean goose were horrible. The
legs of Pink-footed goose were dark orange. Some of the pelagic species like
shearwater and petrels were more confusing than ever due to the dark blurry
colors.

Yes new species have been added and so have the new additional text. However
the text print that has been added is very small print.

I believe that this 2nd edition will have to be reprinted. Not sure if this was
a printer defect or what!!

 If you have not purchased the 40.00 dollar cover price book I would recommend
examining the book beforehand before purchase. You can make your own mind up
after on purchasing or holding off!!

Good Birding,

Rob Lane
Louisville, KY