[birdky] Sloughs WMA

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 14:57:36 -0500

Highlights:
a lingering Rusty Blackbird
1st Ruby-throated Hummingbird away from my home feeder
FOS: Cliff Swallow
FOS: Magnolia Warbler
an Imm. Bald Eagle at the Anderson Pond nest.
Am. Pipit chasing a Red-winged Blackbird!!

I believe the Anderson Bald Eagle's nest was unsuccessful this year. I have not
seen much activity there recently and seen no Juvs. at the nest.

KY Sloughs WMA - Sauerheber Unit, Henderson, US-KY
May 2, 2014 7:25 AM - 11:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Gentle Pond, Pond Creek Marsh, Ohio River
68 species

Greater White-fronted Goose  2     J Dance Rd. X 268
Canada Goose  10
Blue-winged Teal  8
Pied-billed Grebe  1
Great Blue Heron (Blue form)  6
Turkey Vulture  1
Bald Eagle  4     an Imm. at Anderson Pond nest! (NOT Juv.)
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk (Eastern)  1
Killdeer  X
Spotted Sandpiper  2
Solitary Sandpiper  2
Greater Yellowlegs  100     minimum at Wood Tract south
Lesser Yellowlegs  100
Mourning Dove  2
Barred Owl  2
Chimney Swift  X
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  2
Great Crested Flycatcher  4
White-eyed Vireo  3
Yellow-throated Vireo  1
Blue Jay  3
American Crow  7
Tree Swallow  X
Barn Swallow  X
Cliff Swallow  1
Carolina Chickadee  X
Tufted Titmouse  X
White-breasted Nuthatch  X
House Wren  1
Carolina Wren  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  X
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Swainson's Thrush  1
American Robin  1
Gray Catbird  3
Brown Thrasher  3
European Starling  X
American Pipit  1     At Wood Tract south chasing a Red-winged Blackbird!!!
Northern Waterthrush  2     ID by call
Golden-winged Warbler  1
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Prothonotary Warbler  X
Nashville Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  X
Northern Parula  3
Magnolia Warbler  2
Yellow Warbler  1
Palm Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  2
Yellow-breasted Chat  3
Field Sparrow  X
Savannah Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  1
Swamp Sparrow  2
White-throated Sparrow  20     several flocks at Gentle Pond
Northern Cardinal  X
Indigo Bunting  X
Dickcissel  2
Red-winged Blackbird  X
Rusty Blackbird  1     Photo, along Pond Creek singing/calling
Common Grackle  1
Brown-headed Cowbird  X
American Goldfinch  6

View this checklist online at