[birdky] Sandhill Cranes

  • From: Stephen Tyson <kytysons9152@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Birdky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 19:28:57 -0600

I was scoping the southern horizon, about ten minutes past sunset, looking for SEOW, when I spotted a flock of Sandhill Cranes. They were low and on a north-northwest heading, apparently looking for a place to spend the night. Most of the local water, which I think would be their preferred roost, is frozen-over from the recent intense cold. They passed out of sight, about 1.5 miles to the WSW. A few minutes later, I realized I was hearing Sandhill yodels, so I started my video and watched them approach from the west, apparently having decided that the field just south of the house was as good a place as any. They landed about 250 yards out, but left after a few minutes of discussion.  Everything about them is magical!  Flickr link to 50 second video follows - at the end you can hear their delightful calls, even over the dreadful roar of the local grain dryers.

Sandhill Cranes - looking for a place to spend the night (short video)flic.kr
Stephen (Steve) Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co., KY

JPEG image