[birdky] Rpt:Dead baby chickadees in Madisonville

  • From: "aandm" <aandm@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "birdky" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:08:12 -0500

  We have had  chickadees nesting in a box at the back of our yard that we
didn't get around to cleaning out last year so  the nest was rather high in the
box.  We noticed a house wren trying to get in over the week-end and ran her
away.  This morning, we noticed nesting material hanging on the outside of the
box and the chickadee trying to get in.  When Marian went out to check, he
found that the house wren had built a nest right on top of four baby chickadees
and they were dead. There were several other boxes available to the house wren.
 Did our failure to clean out the box contribute to this tragedy? Any
suggestions as to what we could do to try to prevent house wren invasion  in
the future?           Ann Morgan  aandm@xxxxxxxx