[birdky] RPT: West KY 17-18 Feb 2012, waterfowl/raptors

  • From: brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 09:13:44 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Eddie Huber and I visited various points in west KY Fri-Sat. We started off at
the home of Sara and George Whitfield north of Evansville, IN, where I banded
an imm. female Rufous Hummingbird that has been present in their yard all
winter.

Highlights:

Fri.

Audubon Pkwy, Exit 18, Daviess Co.: Nice looks at Janet Howard's beautiful imm.
Krider's morph Red-tailed Hawk.

Lake Peewee, Madisonville: 4 Common Mergansers among relatively modest numbers
of common watefowl.

East Volunteer Mine, Hopkins Co.: 1 adult light morph Rough-legged Hawk.

Clear Creek bottoms, Hopkins Co.: both darkish morph Harlan's Red-tailed Hawks
are there again this winter; at least 2 Le Conte's Sparrows.

Sat. northern ends of Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake

Ky Dam vic: pretty adult male Long-tailed Duck (returning bird from last
winter?) off Ky Dam Village; 2 White-winged Scoters about 1/2 mile above dam;
second-year and adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls at Ky Dam Village marina
(former hanging out around the boat ramp dock); VERY early (or continuing from
winter???) Osprey flying over west side of lake above dam; lots of distant
scaup and Common Goldeneye; only common grebes (dozens) and Common Loons (a
sprinkling).

Lake Barkley: above dam there is a very nice assemblage of mixed grebes and
waterfowl as viewed from various points on eastern shore including 170
Red-breasted Mergs; 325+ Ruddy Ducks; 375 Horned Grebes, lesser numbers of
commoner species; VERY large feeding frenzy of Ring-billed Gulls (1500-2000),
Bonaparte's Gulls (1500+), and American White Pelicans (130) all piled into the
Poplar Creek embayment (from Buzzard Rock Marina and Poplar Creek boat ramp
road) ... we could find nothing else but one Herring Gull, but it is an
impressive bunch of birds; nearly as large a group of waterbirds also at the
mouth of Demumbers Bay in LBL, but mostly scaup (1000) and 400 Bonies, 500+
Ringers.

bpb & ebh