[birdky] RPT: Probable Trumpeter Swans at London

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:11:26 -0500

Wendi Allen of the London Bird Club has been keeping me up to date on a
pair of immature swans that she and Granville Cox have been keeping tabs
on at London the past week. Her very nice photos of the birds appear to
illustrate two sub-adult Trumpeter Swans, although I admit to not having
gained enough familiarity with immature swan ID to be certain. They
might *clearly* be young Trumpeters if it was not for their snow-white
plumage, but their splotchy bill pattern and head/bill structure
indicate imm. Trumpeter.

The birds have been seen on a couple of different ponds along Court Road
near Victory Baptist Church, 1/2 mile or so off US 25E. The birds are
apparently unbanded, but as with many swans they are somewhat tame.

bpb, Frankfort