[birdky] Re: RPT: Probable Trumpeter Swans at London

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 08:55:08 -0500

I wanted to follow up on this post from yesterday. This morning John
Brunjes forwarded a link to discussion of swan ID by David Sibley at:

http://www.sibleyguides.com/swans.htm

If you buy into what Sibley says about bill and head strucutre then the
two birds at London clearly appear to be Tundras.

So in less than 24 hours of cursory analysis I've now received opinions
that the birds could be any of the three swan species, plus the
potential that they could be hybrids! I'll ask Gary Ritchison to post
the images to the KOS site so all can share in the puzzle ASAP.

For the short term, I'd at the least like to retract my post of
"probable" Trumpeters from yesterday. At the moment I am a Sibley
disciple and regarding them as Tundras :o)

bpb, Frankfort

 - - - - -