[birdky] RPT: Ohio/Muhlenberg/Hopkins counties, 1/26/2008

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 14:39:32 -0500

Michael Autin, Barbara Woerner, and myself had an enjoyable [albeit MUCH
colder than expected] day in the field on Saturday. We visited various
portions of the Peabody WMA and other spots in between. It was a great
day for raptors ... we had nice looks at both Accipiters, plenty of
Northern Harriers, at least 8 Red-shoulders, 5 Rough-legs (2 in Ohio
County; 1 at Paradise; and 2 at the East Volunteer Mine in Hopkins
County), and more than 30 Red-tails, 3 of which were western birds (a
nice dark morph adult Harlan's in Ohio Co., great looks at a juv. dark
morph calurus (light eye and dark, narrowly banded tail), and a juv. at
East Volunteer that was either a juv. light morph Harlan's, a juv.
Krider's morph, or a bird of mixed lineage ... perhaps even with eastern
borealis in the mix ? ? ?). The last individual is a questionmark for me
thanks to recent discussions on the Indiana listserv and ID-Frontiers
listserv concerning a "white-headed" western Red-tail that has
completely thrown my formerly shaky-at-best command of light Red-tailed
Hawk plumages into total disarray [and may throw a lot of what has been
reported in Kentucky into doubt!]. Anyone interested in this puzzle
should check out Don Gorney's posts to both archives if you want to make
your head spin faster than immature swan IDs will!

Other birds of interest on the day included: 15 spp of waterfowl
inclduing 3 Greater White-fronted Geese, a Cackling Goose, several
Canvasbacks, and 2 male Greater Scaup at Goose Lake on the Sinclair
Unit; a nice array of waterfowl at a couple of lakes in Ohio County that
included a Northern Pintail, several Green-winged Teal, and a flock of
Redheads; a Brown Thrasher; Purple Finches along Union Hill Road in Ohio
Co.; and a fly-by Brewer's Blackbird at East Volunteer.

bpb, Frankfort