[birdky] Re: RPT: Misc recent reports including Hardin County Sandhill Crane update ...

  • From: Jim Moyer <moyerjd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arosenblum@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 19:22:29 -0500

I saw the sandhill cranes at sunrise on Tuesday morning, on 1375, south of
KY 86.

I checked the time of sunrise online and got to the area about 15 minutes
beforehand.  As the sun peeped over the ridgeline, lots of birds began to
take off, plenty of noise.  I stayed around the area for about 40 minutes,
and I would guess that half the birds left in that 40 minute window.  (That
is at best a rough guess.)  It was 17 degrees and I had taken 200 photos by
then.

I can't say anything about the return of the cranes around sunset, as I
have not observed that.

You've got to get and move to be there before sunrise, but it's a pretty
easy drive.  You can check the time of sunrise online.

Jim Moyer -- novice -- if you get detailed info from someone else who's
experienced, pay attention to them.