[birdky] RPT: Late Nests

  • From: "Scott Freidhof" <sialia67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:53:33 -0500

A new clutch of bluebird eggs is being incubated right now.  This is the
fifth clutch of bluebird eggs in my yard this summer.  Can we thank the
cicadas for the added productivity this year?  My neighbor has a late nest
of tree swallows.  The young should be fledging soon.  Just two purple
martin nests remain in the gourds.  There were eighteen nesting pairs of
martins total this season.  Sixteen pairs have fledged young thus far.  If
the last two nests fledge as scheduled, then my total number of martins
fledged will be 79.  One martin nestling did not fledge with his siblings
but died in the gourd.  He appeared to be blind in one eye when he was
alive.  Another fledgling ended up on the ground.  My 5-year old daughter
scooped him up and returned him to the gourd.  He ended up on the ground the
next day as well.  We set him up on a bluebird box where the adults could
feed him.  He was gone by the time I got home from work so I'm not sure what
happened to him.

Scott Freidhof

Rowan County