[birdky] RPT: Cave Run RN Grebes

  • From: Brian Wulker <bdwulker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 14:38:28 -0400

Hi all,

I finally was able to survey the whole lake this morning in an attempt to
get a total count for Red-necked Grebes.  Overall waterfowl numbers are
down from earlier this week with Lesser Scaup, Red-breasted Merganser and
Common Merganser the only species left with more than 10.

Red-necked Grebes: 4 Seen from twin knobs in Scott Creek Mariana, 5 at
Campground Loop F, 1 at the swimming beach, 2 at Lakeview Vista, 3 total
seen on the east shore along Hwy 801 north of Scott Creek, and 1 at Stoney
Cove next to the dam made for 16 on the lake.  Mike Wright told me he had
one at Minor Clark on the Oxbow, so I ran over there on my way back to
Morehead for my 17th on the day.

Also of note, an adult Bald Eagle was seen sitting on the nest along the
Bath Co. shore from Campground Loop F.

Good birding,

Brian Wulker