[birdky] RPT: Blue Grosbeak Nest

  • From: "Scott Freidhof" <sialia67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:52:19 -0500

My neighbor owns the unmanaged hayfield around us.  The field usually gets
cut for hay just once in late summer.  The unmowed field is currently
supporting a blue grosbeak nest near the edge of our yard.  The pair has
been carrying food for over a week now.  Any time I am near that part of the
yard, the pair "chinks" their displeasure at me. They usually have a
beak-full of bug when sounding off.  They prefer to perch on the tall
ironweed plants before descending to the nest.  Their presence has been a
real treat this spring and summer.  In other backyard bird news, the
mockingbirds are building yet another nest.  At least two nests have fledged
young already.

Scott Freidhof

Rowan County