[birdky] Least Tern Nesting--A request

  • From: "John Brunjes" <john.brunjes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:52:04 -0400

Hello everyone:

This year with the exceptional levels of flooding which have occurred on the
Mississippi and Ohio rivers, the secluded nesting sites which least terns
usually use are inundated.  With the lack of normal nesting sites, least
terns have been nesting in fields adjacent to the rivers.  This makes the
nesting colonies accessible to many people.  One of the places where they
have nested this year is the open pond site in Fulton County which has been
a popular birding spot.  We have worked with the landowner to protect the
colony and he has been very gracious protecting the birds.  For the sake of
Kentucky's only Endangered nesting bird, I would ask anyone birding the area
please to stay on the paved road.  Nests are extremely close to the dirt
road between the ponds and your presence could keep birds off nests.

I would also request that anybody finding nesting least terns nesting in
other areas, please do not enter the colony site.  Even the smallest amount
of disturbance may cause the birds to abandon the site.  If the birds are
disturbed and leave the nest...temperatures in the sand/dirt can reach very
high temperatures quickly and cook the eggs in even a few minutes.
Additionally, the nests are extremely hard to see and you can easily step on
a nest.  If you do find a colony...if you could let me know where, I will do
everything possible to protect the site.

Years like this are very difficult for least terns and anything we can do to
help can make a major difference.

Thanks for your help!

John

*John H. Brunjes, Ph.D.*
Migratory Bird Program
Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
#1 Sportsman's Lane - Wildlife Annex
Frankfort, KY 40601
800-858-1549  Ext. 4500
email: john.brunjes@xxxxxx

Did you know...   Hunting, fishing, boating and wildlife watching fund
60,000 Kentucky jobs?