[birdky] Shorebirds arrive-Open Pond 7/13

  • From: HapC1@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:56:57 EDT

Nancy Moore and Patty Horner joined me at Open pond in Fulton County for a
full showing of migrating shorebirds.  Last nights rain replenished the  pond
and habitat was there for the birds.  It proves again that if there is  habitat
the birds will come.
Eleven species of shorebirds were seen, along with a few other  specialities.
Great Egret
Mississippi Kite
Killdeer
Black-necked Stilt - 2 Adult 3 chicks
Greater Yellowlegs - 3
Lesser Yellowlegs - 140+
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 6
Western Sandpiper - 2
Least Sandpiper - 120+
Pectoral Sandpiper - 25
Stilt Sandpiper - 3
Least Tern - 2
Black Tern - 1
Swallows are lining up on the wires.  The bank where the Bank Swallows  were
nesting in Hickman has been destroyed by bulldozers : ( (I hope most of the
young got out before it was leveled.)
Hap
Murray, KY