[birdky] Northern Saw-whet Owls update

  • From: "Mark Monroe" <markmonroe1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 05:44:22 -0400

I'll provide some info for perspective first on the magnitude of this
year's invasion. :)

Prior to this year, my earliest record capture any year was Nov. 7, my
best single night was 8 captured on Nov. 16, 1999, and my best year
was 1999 with 19 total owls captured.

I've opened nets 3 nights now and caught the following numbers:

Oct 25: 2
Oct 27: 9
Oct 28: 13

The 13 captured last night included one bird that did not need to be
banded by me because it had already visited another jeweler
previously.  I'm looking forward to hearing where that bird came from
(it was a young male, so I know it was banded this season).  Another
interesting note for the season is that of the 24 birds I've caught so
far, only one has not been a young bird of the year, and the majority
that could be sexed have been females.  This suggests to me that much
more is yet to come.

But for now...sleep. :)

Mark