[birdky] Northern Cardinal with head molt?

  • From: "Dawn" <dawn.office@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Birdky" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:19:05 -0400

Morning,

Since I am somewhat new to birding, I can identify some breeds, or species
easily enough, but keep my book handy and a piece of paper to make notes.
About 3 weeks ago I notice a "different" coloring on one of the cardinals. I
have a pair that were coming daily, very pretty they were. I then noticed in
the evening that a second male was showing up, it was a cardinal, but his
coloring was way off. From a distance it looked like his black masking had
taken over his whole head, and the head appeared "rounded". When ever I
attempted to get a better look or get the camera he would take off, guess he
is shy.

I have been looking all week for a possible answer, while spending more time
at the window watching for him. Well last night I was finally able to
actually observe him and get my answers, but now I have even more questions.

This poor boy is bald! Not one feather on his head, no crest, nothing that I
could see. If he wasn't 6in in length, bright red and eatting the safflower
seeds in my feeders I would think he was a new mini vulture. When I finally
figured out that he had no feathers I wanted to run out, pick him up and
tell him he was still beautiful.

So, have I never seen this before because I was not paying attention, or is
it a common thing? I looked up molting, but could find no answer. I know it
is a good chance it is some kind of parasite as well.

Thank you,

Dawn D.
Louisville, Ky