[birdky] Re: Northern Cardinal with head molt?

  • From: "Linda Bell" <linda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 06:36:41 -0700

Hi Dawn,

I've noticed this phenomenon quite a bit with my backyard birds (only
cardinals, so far). Some appear more completely bald while others are missing
only a few head feathers. It seems experts are somewhat uncertain about a
definite cause, but there are several thoughts on it.

Here's a link with a few theories and it also has some additional links to
other sites on the topic.
http://www.birdersworld.com/brd/default.aspx?c=a&id=512

Linda