[birdky] Morgan/Magoffin Ovenbird?

  • From: "Douglas Hennig" <hennig@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Birdky" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:56:45 -0500

Good morning

While clearing saplings from the power line ROW yesterday, I heard the
continued singing of a bird I cannot identify with certainty. Permit me
to admit that with age my hearing, sight and MEMORY are slipping so even
when I study bird guides and listen to Cornell, I'm still unable to
transfer accurately from the study to the field and vice versa. :)

Am not in a position financially or technically to purchase a camera to
photograph what visits these 90 wooded acres so please bear with me if
many of my "sightings" are really only "hearings"

What I heard yesterday while resting in the Jeep was at least 6 or 7
repetitions of the same two syllable sound. For a while I supposed it was
a KY warbler but after listening to Cornell, I'm thinking Ovenbird.

Other details: Minutes passed between the singing so unlike many that I'm
hearing in our woods I had to wait and wait for the next rendition.
Secondly, even though more than 20 minutes passed, the singing seemed to
be coming from the same location.

Does this cause any of you to think what I may have heard? The singing
has been heard in our woods for a week to 10 days.

FOS yesterday: Blue winged warbler--but heard only.

Whip poor will returned to his usual 8:44 commencement again last night
after starting at 8:46 the night before. :)

Thanks and happy birding,

Doug Hennig
Magoffin County

Doug Hennig, Grounds Maintenance
The Retirement Village at White Oak Heights and
Custodial Maintenance for the Caney Cat Shelter
4995 Highway 1000
West Liberty, KY 41472

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.birdky.org