[birdky] INFO: Red-necked Grebe locations so far ...

  • From: <brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 04:45:03 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

It seems that once the Red-necked Grebes arrived (most after the
snow/sleet/freezing rain event of the first weekend in March), they have mostly
stayed around where they fell out. I did a quick tally of locations/counties so
far.

One to 24 Red-necked Grebes have now been found at no fewer than 22 locations
on at least 14 bodies of water (multiple sites on the Ohio River) in 19
counties. Those who may have happened to look at the most recent eBird map will
notice a "hole" of no data in Kentucky. This is simply because our KY eBird
data reviewer, Roseanna Denton, has been on a birding trip the past two weeks.
She should return later this week and will quickly "approve" the data to fill
in the map.

In her absence, a number of lakes down in southeast KY have not been checked,
but hopefully the birds will linger long enough to be counted. We still have no
data from Barren River Lake, Lake Cumberland, and Laurel River Lake, as well as
numerous smaller bodies of water. I know a few west KY lakes have been checked
without sightings, so this may remain a "northeastern" event. As some may have
noted, it seems that the largest numbers actually fell out on smaller lakes of
50-100 or so acres in size, and just about any body of water is worth looking
at.

bpb, Louisville

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm