[birdky] Fw: Re: Schochoh, Logan Co., snow day...list

  • From: "Debi" <debi1950@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Birdky" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 10:55:33 -0500

And that would explain why I had a couple doves the last freeze/snow, that were
missing tail feathers..and ice all over their backs....didn't even think about
them sticking to the tree or wherever they were..

debi lucas
greenup co.

I had 3 birds at my feeders with no tail feathers yesterday....We figured it
related to the freezing rain.
Linda Craiger / Glasgow

Lyneart <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I also noticed a female cardinal with no tail feathers at all and several other
birds with bits of ice clinging to their tails. Still didn't connect the
missing tail to the ice until seeing your post.
Frank

On Mar 3, 2014, at 7:07 PM, Debby & Steve Tyson wrote:

  We were “trapped” home by snow and ice today.  It was the first really
significant snow cover we’ve had here in south Logan Co. this year and the bird
activity was amazing at the feeders.  We counted 30 total species for the day,
all but the Meadowlarks, Red-headed and Bobwhites from the breakfast nook
window.  We too had unusually large flocks of Grackles, Redwings and Cowbirds,
but we also had at least six DE Juncos around the feeders, (we rarely see even
a single).  We also watched a Fox Sparrow for several hours and counted our
first ever American Tree Sparrow here, which appeared literally under the
window (takes our “house” count to 124).  Once again, the Hairy WP announced
his presence by tapping on the deck!  We noticed several Doves and
White-crowned Sparrows that were missing most, or all, of their tail feathers
today.  We’re speculating that they went to bed wet, in the torrential rain,
and froze fast to whatever they were roosting on(?)
  Stephen Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co., KY
  Species Name:
  Northern Bobwhite
  Cooper's Hawk