[birdky] Re: Eastern Phoebe

  • From: "joyce porter" <joycelporter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 10:40:57 -0600

Frank,

I didn't know about winter feeding habits of Phoebes but I do know
that the American Robin resorts to eating fruit when the ground
freezes and they can't extract a fat juicy earthworm. I've seen them
in deep woods feeding on dried frozen hackberries the middle of winter.
The ornamental crabapple which stands in my yard and is laden with
fruit is a favorite of the robins right now, what few robins there are.
We had just one robin on the recent Christmas Count. Joyce Porter Falls
of Rough ,Ky.