[birdky] Disappearing backyard birds

  • From: JEswindell@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:07:31 EDT

I live in Nelson County on 50 acres outside Bardstown.  About a month  ago
our birds began to disappear.  We keep around a dozen feeders and  usually put
out a couple of pounds of seed per day.  Now we see only a few  finches, an
occasional Downy and a couple of Goldfinches.  No  grackles!
The only change in the environment is the emergence of the 17-year class of
cicadas but one might suppose this to help the insect feeders.  Cherry and
mulberry trees are ripe, but no fruit eaters are using them.

Has anyone else seen this occur?  Any ideas why?

John Swindells

Mailto: JESwindell@xxxxxxx

fuel-efficient used cars.