[birdky] Re: Disappearing Act

  • From: <hiker_rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 8:38:32 -0500

I live at Siloam in Greenup Co., KY in the middle of the woods.  The birds are
all in the woods.  There is more food this year than I have seen in years.
Plus bird populations could also be somewhat low due to last years drought and
birds raising smaller famlies to compensate.  I think you will see populations
increase as there is a greater food supply this year.  The woods have been full
of birds at my house this year.  I only feed during the winter but I don't
remember as much activity in the woods as I have observed this year.  It may
just depend on where you live and how much man has disturbed their environment.

Rick Seelhorst
Si;oam, Greenup Co., KY

> From: Barbara Joe Schmidlapp napora <barbara2joe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2008/06/20 Fri AM 07:47:54 CDT
> To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [birdky] Re: birdky Digest V7 #162
>

>   In Ashland , Kentucky , same report regarding regarding less birds at
> feeders. There is quite a bit of activity around ( we have a small wooded
> area in city) however, less at feeder. We have picked our cherry tree 3
> times! This is the first year we remember gettting any cherries. Goldfinches
> were plenty this winter and few now. House sparrows, house finches etc. are
> still around in high numbers. Woodpeckers (Downy, yellow bellied, red bellied
> and pileated are still around). I spotted the brown thrasher just yesterday
> and have some cat birds in the woods. The baby wrens that were housed in my
> husband's Tilley hat flew out of the porch yesterday. I was unsure as to why
> less activity at the feeder but thought it might be the combination of
> cicada's and a good year!
> Curious to hear more about it.
>
> Barbara Schmidlapp
> Boyd County Ashland Kentucky
> > Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 02:20:45 -0400> From: ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To:
> > ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: birdky Digest V7 #162> > birdky Digest Thu,
> > 19 Jun 2008 Volume: 07 Issue: 162> > In This Issue:> [birdky] Disappearing
> > backyard birds> [birdky] Re: Disappearing backyard birds> [birdky] Fw: Re:
> > Disappearing backyard birds> [birdky] Disappearing backyard birds> [birdky]
> > Disappearing Act> [birdky] Re: Disappearing Act> [birdky] Transport>
> > [birdky] Black Crowned Night Herons> [birdky] Re: Fw: Re: Disappearing
> > backyard birds> [birdky] Re: Fw: Re: Disappearing backyard birds> [birdky]
> > Re: juvenile black crowned night heron> >
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------> >
> > From: JEswindell@xxxxxxx> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:07:31 EDT> Subject:
> > [birdky] Disappearing backyard birds> > I live in Nelson County on 50 acres
> > outside Bardstown. About a month ago > our birds began to disappear. We
> > keep around a dozen feeders and usually put > out a couple of
  pounds of seed per day. Now we see only a few finches, an > occasional Downy
and a couple of Goldfinches. No grackles! > The only change in the environment
is the emergence of the 17-year class of > cicadas but one might suppose this
to help the insect feeders. Cherry and > mulberry trees are ripe, but no fruit
eaters are using them.> > Has anyone else seen this occur? Any ideas why?> >
John Swindells> > Mailto: JESwindell@xxxxxxx> > > **************Gas prices
getting you down? Search AOL Autos for > fuel-efficient used cars.
(http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)> > > >
------------------------------> > Subject: [birdky] Re: Disappearing backyard
birds> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:13:07 -0400> From: "Hargis, David (EPPC DNR
DOC)" <David.Hargis@xxxxxx>> > I live in Frankfort and have had the same
problem, I know summer is here> and they are feeding on insects but the
population of visitors has hit> very low. I went from filling my feeders every
couple of days t
 o once> every couple of weeks. The red-headed woodpecker, the blue jays and
the> hummingbirds have completely gone. I have an occasional chickadee or>
cardinal; the only real visitors I get are house wrens and house> finches.> > >
SAFETY OFFICER> > ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL CABINET> > DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL
RESOURCES> > DIVISION OF CONSERVATION> > 375 VERSAILLES ROAD> > FRANKFORT, KY
40601> > PHONE 502-573-3080> > fax 502-573-1692> > david.hargis@xxxxxx
<mailto:david.hargis@xxxxxx> > > www.conservation.ky.gov
<http://www.conservation.ky.gov> > > > > > > Confidentiality Notice:> > This
e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of> the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential information. Any> unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly> prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the> sender by e-mail and destroy all
copies of the
  original message. > > ________________________________> > From:
birdky-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:birdky-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]> On Behalf Of
JEswindell@xxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:08 AM> To:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [birdky] Disappearing backyard birds> > > > I
------------------------------> > Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 05:44:02 -0700 (PDT)>
From: Michael Mulligan <umukk@xxxxxxxxx>> Subject: [birdky] Fw: Re:
Disappearing backyard birds> > I also live in Frankfort, with the same
dwindling birds at the feeders and the cherry tree...until  earlier this week,
when not only did I notice a few more birds, but much more Robin activity in
the tree. I even had them landing in there with me while I was harvesting on a
ladder.> ======================== -Michael Mulligan-
http://mypages.cityhighflash.com> > --- On Thu, 6/19/08, Hargis, David (EPPC
DNR DOC) <David.Hargis@xxxxxx> wrote:> From: Hargis, David (EPPC DNR DOC)
<David.Hargis@xxxxxx>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
> I live in> Frankfort and have had> the same problem, I know summer is here
and they are feeding on insects but the> population of visitors has hit very
low.
 I went from filling my feeders every> couple of days to once every couple of
weeks. The red-headed woodpecker, the> blue jays and the hummingbirds have
completely gone. I have an occasional chickadee> or cardinal; the only real
visitors I get are house wrens and house finches. > >   > > > >   > > DAVID M.
HARGIS> > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------> > From: "Susan
Lambert" <sclgeographer@xxxxxxxxxx>> Subject: [birdky] Disappearing backyard
birds> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:54:33 -0400> > same here at my farm in
anderson county. very few birds and only 1 or 2> hummers. i can hear lots of
wood thrushes and towhees but my normally> active feeders are unattended by the
normal flocks of songbirds.> > puzzling. maybe now that the cicadas have passed
on the birds will come> back.> > susan carson lambert, geographer, GISP>
honeystreet farm> anderson county ky> lat 38 05 54 n long 085 01 29 w>
elevation 830> > > > We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belongin
 g to us. When we> see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to
use it with love> and respect.> Aldo Leopold> > > > > _____ > > From:
birdky-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:birdky-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On> Behalf Of
Michael Mulligan> Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:44 AM> To:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [birdky] Fw: Re: Disappearing backyard birds> >
wrote:> > > From: Hargis, David (EPPC DNR DOC) <David.Hargis@xxxxxx>> > > > I
------------------------------> > Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 06:34:06 -0700 (PDT)>
From: Nicole McClure <racehoss00@xxxxxxxxx>> Subject: [birdky] Disappearing
Act> > I also will chime in about birds going bye-bye. Then I live in the city
limits of Lexington, I still have had a pretty diverse group of birds. The ones
that REALLY caught my attention of not being around are the Goldfinches. During
the winter, I had ungodly numbers of Goldfinches and bought one of the huge 20
port Nyjer seed feeders to accommodate them all. Now, I'm lucky to see a pair
every few weeks. The robins love my bird bath, so they are
 still around. Blue Jays hang out and keep an eye on the yard for peanuts (I go
through 25 lbs every 2 weeks of in-the-shell peanuts between the Jays and the
squirrels). Other than that....it's the normal House Finches and Sparrows and
Mourning Doves.> > Nicole McClure> UMR- A United Healthcare Company> > 333 West
Vine St.> Suite 500> Lexington, KY 40507> > > > > >
------------------------------> > From: "Kistlers" <kistlers@xxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [birdky] Re: Disappearing Act> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:47:14 -0500>
> I'll add a positive note to this discussion. Bird numbers are great in Hart
Co. They have quit coming to the feeders, as usual for this time of year, but
there are plenty here and at Mammoth Cave.> Steve Kistler> Hart Co> -----
Original Message ----- > From: Nicole McClure > To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:34 AM> Subject: [birdky] Disappearing Act> > I
[...]
"Eileen Wicker" <raptors@xxxxxxxxx>> Subject: [birdky] Transport> Date: Thu, 19
Jun 2008 11:45:11 -0400> > Is anyone on the list going to be in the Bowling
Green area in the> next couple of days. I have some owls that
 were left homeless when> the owners cut the nest tree down. If someone is
already in that> area I would really appreciate some help with transport. We
will> help with your gas. The woman has had them 6 days and trying to> find
help all this time, they have been getting the wrong kind of> food and in
danger of Metabolic Bone Disease if not gotten on the> proper diet soon> Thanks
so much--please reply to raptors@xxxxxxxxx=20> > Eileen> Eileen Wicker> Raptor
Rehabilitation of KY Inc.> (502) 491-1939> www.raptorrehab.org> > > >
------------------------------> > Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:43:42 -0400> From:
"Patty Henry" <phenry2@xxxxxxxxx>> Subject: [birdky] Black Crowned Night
Herons> > I have some Black Crowned Night Herons nesting in a tree (Louisville,
KY)> and one of the Juveniles appears to have fallen from the nest. It was>
resting against the trunk of the tree - at the bottom. I have moved it> because
of the stray cats and traffic since it was next to the street. I> fed i
 t a Small fresh fish which had also fallen from the nest ...I want to> give
the bird as much chance as possible to survive, so if anyone knows> someone I
can contact or what to do with the it until it can fly, please let> me know.>
Thank-you.> > Patty> > -- > ------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > Its a
Picasa picture thing, check out my pictures here:>
http://picasaweb.google.com/phenry2> > ""When I let go of what I am, I become
what I might be." - Lao Tzu> > "I'm struck by how many realities exist outside
of my own" ? Leslie Feinberg> > > ------------------------------> > Date: Thu,
19 Jun 2008 15:00:47 -0400> From: "Kathy Nell" <knell@xxxxxxx>> Subject:
[birdky] Re: Fw: Re: Disappearing backyard birds> > You can extend this concern
to Berea in Madison County. I would never have> believed I would have cherries
on the tree for so long.> Kathy Nell> Berea, KY> _____ > > From:
birdky-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:birdky-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On> Behalf Of
Michael Mulligan>
  Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:44 AM> To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject:
[birdky] Fw: Re: Disappearing backyard birds> > > I also live in Frankfort,
[...]
and house finches.> > > > > > DAVID M. HARGIS> > > > No virus found in this
incoming message.> Checked by AVG.> Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database:
270.4.0/1509 - Release Date: 6/19/2008> 8:00 AM> > > > > >
------------------------------> > From: "Kistlers" <kistlers@xxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [birdky] Re: Fw: Re: Disappearing backyard birds> Date: Thu, 19 Jun
2008 14:57:57 -0500> > All your birds must be in Hart County :) Numbers are
very strong here and in Mammoth Cave. They may not be coming to feeders and
ornamentals as much, because there is an abundance of wild food this year.
After last year's drought, every tree and bush is loaded with seeds.> Steve
Kistler> Hart Co.> ----- Original Message ----- > From: Kathy Nell > To:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:00 PM> Subject: [birdky]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
From: birdky-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:birdky-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Michael Mulligan> Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:44 AM> To:
wrote:> > From: Hargis, David (EPPC DNR DOC) <David.Hargis@xxxxxx>> > > I live
in Frankfort and have had the same problem, I know summer
 is here and they are feeding on insects but the population of visitors has hit
very low. I went from filling my feeders every couple of days to once every
couple of weeks. The red-headed woodpecker, the blue jays and the hummingbirds
have completely gone. I have an occasional chickadee or cardinal; the only real
visitors I get are house wrens and house finches.> > > > > > DAVID M. HARGIS> >
8.0.100 / Virus Database: 270.4.0/1509 - Release Date: 6/19/2008 8:00 AM> > > >
------------------------------> > Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:25:53 -0400> From:
"Patty Henry" <phenry2@xxxxxxxxx>> Subject: [birdky] Re: juvenile black crowned
night heron> > I want to thank everyone who responded to my request to help the
heron which> had fallen from the nest today. I was able to find someone to come
and pick> up the bird. It was in really good shape and thankfully it will now
be taken> care of.> Thank- you!> > Patty>