[birdky] Re: birdky Digest V7 #162

  • From: Barbara Joe Schmidlapp napora <barbara2joe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 08:47:54 -0400

  In Ashland , Kentucky , same report regarding regarding less birds at
feeders. There is quite a bit of activity around ( we have a small wooded area
in city) however, less at feeder. We have picked our cherry tree 3 times! This
is the first year we remember gettting any cherries. Goldfinches were plenty
this winter and few now. House sparrows, house finches etc. are still around in
high numbers. Woodpeckers (Downy, yellow bellied, red bellied and pileated are
still around). I spotted the brown thrasher just yesterday and have some cat
birds in the woods. The baby wrens that were housed in my husband's Tilley hat
flew out of the porch yesterday. I was unsure as to why less activity at the
feeder but thought it might be the combination of  cicada's and a good year!
Curious to hear more about it.

Barbara Schmidlapp
Boyd County Ashland Kentucky
> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 02:20:45 -0400> From: ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To:
> ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: birdky Digest V7 #162> > birdky Digest Thu,
> 19 Jun 2008 Volume: 07 Issue: 162> > In This Issue:> [birdky] Disappearing
> backyard birds> [birdky] Re: Disappearing backyard birds> [birdky] Fw: Re:
> Disappearing backyard birds> [birdky] Disappearing backyard birds> [birdky]
> Disappearing Act> [birdky] Re: Disappearing Act> [birdky] Transport> [birdky]
> Black Crowned Night Herons> [birdky] Re: Fw: Re: Disappearing backyard birds>
> [birdky] Re: Fw: Re: Disappearing backyard birds> [birdky] Re: juvenile black
> crowned night heron> >
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------> >
> From: JEswindell@xxxxxxx> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:07:31 EDT> Subject:
> [birdky] Disappearing backyard birds> > I live in Nelson County on 50 acres
> outside Bardstown. About a month ago > our birds began to disappear. We keep
> around a dozen feeders and usually put > out a couple of pounds of seed per
> day. Now we see only a few finches, an > occasional Downy and a couple of
> Goldfinches. No grackles! > The only change in the environment is the
> emergence of the 17-year class of > cicadas but one might suppose this to
> help the insect feeders. Cherry and > mulberry trees are ripe, but no fruit
> eaters are using them.> > Has anyone else seen this occur? Any ideas why?> >
> John Swindells> > Mailto: JESwindell@xxxxxxx> > > **************Gas prices
> getting you down? Search AOL Autos for > fuel-efficient used cars.
> (http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)> > > >
> ------------------------------> > Subject: [birdky] Re: Disappearing backyard
> birds> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:13:07 -0400> From: "Hargis, David (EPPC DNR
> DOC)" <David.Hargis@xxxxxx>> > I live in Frankfort and have had the same
> problem, I know summer is here> and they are feeding on insects but the
> population of visitors has hit> very low. I went from filling my feeders
> every couple of days to once> every couple of weeks. The red-headed
> woodpecker, the blue jays and the> hummingbirds have completely gone. I have
> an occasional chickadee or> cardinal; the only real visitors I get are house
> wrens and house> finches.> > > > > > > > > DAVID M. HARGIS> > PROGRAM
> COORDINATOR> > TRAINING COORDINATOR> > SAFETY OFFICER> > ENERGY &
> ENVIRONMENTAL CABINET> > DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES> > DIVISION OF
> CONSERVATION> > 375 VERSAILLES ROAD> > FRANKFORT, KY 40601> > PHONE
> 502-573-3080> > fax 502-573-1692> > david.hargis@xxxxxx
> <mailto:david.hargis@xxxxxx> > > www.conservation.ky.gov
> <http://www.conservation.ky.gov> > > > > > > Confidentiality Notice:> > This
> e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of> the
> intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information. Any>
> unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly> prohibited.
> [...]
The other season of giving begins 6/24/08. Check out the i’m Talkathon.
http://www.imtalkathon.com?source=TXT_EML_WLH_SeasonOfGiving