[birdky] Re: Cranial loss of head feathers

  • From: "Eileen Wicker" <raptors@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bobmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'BIRDKY (E-mail)'" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:50:05 -0400

When screech owls molt they lose all of their head feathers at
once--every August you can count on our owls being bald. I suspect
many birds do this as some of our other education birds lose many
of theirs at once. Just not as bad as screech owls do. The
attached picture of the screech was when he had started to grow
them back in. But they do get bald as an egg.

Eileen
Eileen Wicker
Raptor Rehabilitation of KY Inc.
(502) 491-1939
Raptors on The River Conference Oct.28-30, 2005
The Galt House Hotel--Louisville Kentucky
www.raptorrehab.org