[birdky] Bird reporting in Kentucky

  • From: "sk" <kistlers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 20:17:06 -0600

At our last KOS board meeting it was decided that we should encourage
Kentucky birders to report all sightings via www.ebird.org

For those of you who have not used this site, reporting is easy. I cannot
attach files to this listserve email, but if anyone wants help getting
started, I can email you a file with simple directions. Once you submit a
report, you can forward it to this bird line without rewriting.

eBird is a site managed by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. It handles a huge
volume of data: so far just this month, over 75,000 lists have been
submitted from U.S. birders.

Reasons to report on eBird:

.         Cornell Lab uses the data to track bird population numbers and
movements.

.         It provides you with an easy way to keep track of your birding
records. You can access all your former list reports easily.

.         It provides a great online data base for each region. All Kentucky
bird reports are there for anyone to sort through. For example, we have had
an amazing winter with regards to waterfowl. Today's reports indicate it
ain't over yet! This would be good data to have in the state archive for
anyone anywhere to access via the internet.

.         It allows birders to look for species by location. Need a
burrowing owl next time you're in Florida? Check the Explore Data tab for
hotspots, sightings, frequency graphs, and specific species lists.

.         One more important point. When conservation groups in Kentucky
apply for grant monies, eBird submissions are a good way for them to
document citizen interest in preservation and management issues. Our
submitted lists actually help bring conservation funds to Kentucky.

Ebird is easy to use, and doing so will help you and the rest of us as well.

Good birding to each of you as we enjoy the first signs of spring, and I
hope to see everyone at the April 25th - 27th KOS meeting at Mammoth Cave.

Steve Kistler

KOS president

---
is active.