[birdky] Ballard WMA 22 April

  • From: "Scott & Glenda Record" <sgrecord@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:23:47 -0500

Rain kept me in most of the morning but a mid afternoon excursion to Ballard
proved worthwhile.  The best habitat now is still at lower beaver dam slough
with Yellowlegs and Solitary Sandpipers scattered around other areas as well.
Numbers were up considerably from the last few days.  The following numbers are
estimates and may be a little low.  I carried my 5 year old along and he
prefers to charge in first and count and Identify later!  Highlights include:
Semi-plover  15 +
Killdeer  10
Greater Yellowlegs  10+
Lesser Yellowlegs  40 +
Solitary Sandpiper  15 +
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Least Sandpiper  30 +
Baird's Sandpiper  1
Pectoral Sandpiper  50+
Wilson's Snipe  8+
Pipits  30

Breeding passerines are present in number.  I did not really spend much time
due to the wind and hour of the day but Summer tanagers, Prothonotary warblers,
Common Yellowthroats, Parula's, Indigo Buntings etc can be found easily as
probably can many migrants in proper habitat.

Scott Record
Ragland KY