[birdky] RPT: Henderson/Union cos 4-21-2004

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:35:00 -0400

A work foray into Henderson and Union counties yesterday yielded a few
interesting observations. A flooded field near Ellis Park had a decent mix
of shorebirds including 4 American Golden-Plovers. I counted 184 active
Great Blue Heron nests in the "Audubon" heronry at Henderson, along with a
lonely looking Great Egret that looked like it wished it had a mate to start
working on a nest with.  A quick stop at Sauerheber yielded common
shorebirds and ducks. The highlight of the day for me was a stop at one of
the Peabody Camp Mine impoundments, where at least NINE Baird's Sandpipers
were working a windy shoreline.  Strangely, the birds were all typically
feeding singly and were scattered over a few hundred yards of shore rather
than being flocked up, in fact chasing each other away from favored feeding
areas at times.  Something weird is going on with this rare spring KY
shorebird; Hap has reported them twice recently including five in Fulton
County last week!  I had 11 shorebird species on the day including a single
Dunlin. I also happened upon an American Bittern with a badly broken wing.
It was sad seeing him in that state, but his threat displays, jabs and
growls were a unique experience. Last night I passed him along to what has
to be a hurt bird's best friend in the world -- Rose Hensel -- who is an
avid rehabber from the Louisville area. I hope Rose can at least save him
for release with one wing or placement in an aviary somewhere.

BPB, Louisville