[birdky] Re: BKY: RFI - Can anyone identify this bush?

  • From: Judy Arnold <judy_arnold@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chadwilson25@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 07:43:55 -0800 (PST)

Hi Chad,
If you wish to plant trees and shrubs on your property to entice the birds, I
don't know if I'd go with Ilex decidua of which I have two varieties. This fall
I noticed that there were many baby bushes covering about an acre in size. I
now consider them invasive, for us anyway, because I can't keep the area mowed,
but you may not have a problem with them. We have planted Red Mulberry
(American) which is native, but not white mulberry (Asian) which is considered
invasive. All of the other trees and shrubs mentioned we have growing here and
we have not noticed any problems. There are also some other native threes and
shrubs such as the Eastern red cedar, Elderberry and Winterberry (Ilex
verticillata) and the Sumac family, which provide food for the birds. The sweet
gum and black gum are also wonderful trees with fruits and seeds for the birds,
just don't plant the sweet gum anywhere you would be troubled by the round
sharp seed balls which fall to the
 ground. Chickadees just love the sweet gums, hanging upside down to get the
seeds!
We have planted all of the above and many more over the last 30 years and are
really enjoying them now.
Good luck!
JudyNo. Shelby Co.P.S. Did you know that the birds eat poison ivy seeds?
From: T. Travis Brown <travisbrown00@xxxxxxxxxx>

To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, January
 24, 2010, 9:55 AM

I'm going to guess Chinese privet (Ligustrum sinense).  It has opposite
branches and dark berries that should still be around this time of year.
Unfortunately, it is a non-native exotic shrub that displaces native species,
and readily escapes ornamental plantings.  It's somewhat similar to bush
honeysuckle in this respect..  Serviceberry, spicebush, arrowwood viburnum, or
some other native species would be a much better choice for planting!  Here's a
good website on this

http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/nativegardening/alternatives.shtml

T. Travis Brown

ttravis.brown00@xxxxxxxxx