[bes_comp_eco] Re: Query: paper suggestions

  • From: Francisco Rodriguez-Sanchez <fr286@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bes_comp_eco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 12:50:43 +0000

Hi,

I think this recent issue of the journal Interface (http://rsfs.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/2/2.toc) can provide nice examples. I'd particularly recommend the introductory and concluding articles:

Codling, E. a. & Dumbrell, a. J. (2012) Mathematical and theoretical ecology: linking models with ecological processes. /Interface Focus/, *2*, 144--149.

Petrovskii, S. & Petrovskaya, N. (2012) Computational ecology as an emerging science. /Interface Focus/, *2*, 241--254.

Cheers,

Paco

El 07/03/2013 06:15, Matthew Smith escribió:

Dear Group,

We have had a good question from Mark Emerson, please feel free to reply either publically or privately. I will reply myself soon:

Hello all,

I was hoping that I might be able to join this email group. I am currently teaching an upper-division course in 'practical computing for biologists' and am looking for good examples of how computation is applied in ecology. I am, by training, an evolutionary geneticist using next-gen sequencing and have a great deal of literature for the students in this field, but I would like to diversify the papers that they read - showing that computation can facilitate research in any subdiscipline of biology.

I am looking for recommendations for undergraduate-accessible papers that really show how computation can be used to address fundamental questions in ecology. In particular, papers that focus on the biology and not the computational aspects, are best - I want them to survey the biology, not the computational approaches.

Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Warmest,
Kevin Emerson

------------------

Kevin J Emerson, PhD

Assistant Professor of Biology

Biology Department

St. Mary's College of Maryland

18952 E. Fisher Rd
St. Mary's City, MD 20686-3001

kjemerson@xxxxxxxx <mailto:kjemerson@xxxxxxxx>

http://faculty.smcm.edu/kjemerson

Office: 240 - 895 - 2123, Shaefer Hall 231

--
Dr Francisco Rodriguez-Sanchez
Forest Ecology and Conservation Group