[bes_comp_eco] Re: Query: paper suggestions

  • From: Matthew Smith <Matthew.Smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ud8mm@xxxxxxxxxxx" <ud8mm@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "bes_comp_eco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bes_comp_eco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 06:23:39 +0000

Correcting myself... we have had a good query from Kevin Emerson! (apologies
Kevin)

Dear Group,
We have had a good question from Kevin Emerson, please feel free to reply
either publically or privately. I will reply myself soon:

Hello all,
I was hoping that I might be able to join this email group. I am currently
teaching an upper-division course in 'practical computing for biologists' and
am looking for good examples of how computation is applied in ecology.  I am,
by training, an evolutionary geneticist using next-gen sequencing and have a
great deal of literature for the students in this field, but I would like to
diversify the papers that they read - showing that computation can facilitate
research in any subdiscipline of biology.

I am looking for recommendations for undergraduate-accessible papers that
really show how computation can be used to address fundamental questions in
ecology.  In particular, papers that focus on the biology and not the
computational aspects, are best - I want them to survey the biology, not the
computational approaches.

Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Warmest,
Kevin Emerson
Kevin J Emerson, PhD
Assistant Professor of Biology
Biology Department
St. Mary's College of Maryland
18952 E. Fisher Rd
St. Mary's City, MD 20686-3001
kjemerson@xxxxxxxx<mailto:kjemerson@xxxxxxxx>
http://faculty.smcm.edu/kjemerson
Office: 240 - 895 - 2123, Shaefer Hall 231