[beports] Re: [RFC] diff file for gzip 1.3.12

  • From: "scott mc" <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: beports@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 16:28:00 -0700

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2008-05-14 at 23:08:25 [+0200], Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Am 14.05.2008 um 22:44 schrieb scott mc:
>>
>> > Are we submitting these types of fixes, where we put in " if defined
>> > (__BEOS__) && !defined (__HAIKU__) " in place of ifdef __BEOS__ ?
>>
>> Ingo? I have not submitted the gnulib patch yet due to the open
>> question of whether or not to drop __BEOS__ completely. If it remains
>> for the time being, +1 from me.
>
> The general sentiment on the Haiku developer list seemed to be in favor of
> dropping it, though there were some voices against it. I guess I'll ask
> again before reviewing all my previous ports -- in doubt we'll vote on it.
> Aside from that, feel free to submit the patch to the maintainers. It won't
> break when we do indeed drop __BEOS__. But you should better check whether
> there are other __BEOS__ ifdef'ed sections that are needed on Haiku,
> because those *will* have a different behavior when we drop the macro.
>
>> > What about the config.guess when sending updates?
>>
>> As mentioned earlier, do not yet. Ingo's changes are not declared
>> final and afaik not merged upstream for libtool & co either.
>
> config.guess and config.sub are generated (copied/symlinked) by automake.
> You should never edit them manually. If there's a good reason for changing
> them, do it in automake and commit the changes to the automake maintainers.
> If your changes are BeOS specific (i.e. not affecting Haiku), I don't
> really care whether or not you submit them right now. If they affect Haiku
> (your mail didn't sound like they did, though), it would be nice, if you
> would wait.
>
> The Haiku automake changes might already have made it to the maintainers
> BTW. A few months ago someone (I don't have the name at hand) notified me
> that he submitted config.guess changes that looked like the ones for
> Haiku's gcc 4, which I believe are just what I used for automake. Will have
> to check that later.
>
> CU, Ingo

Taking a step back from my home directory and running:
grep -r "__BEOS__" home
shows a ton of occurrences, which means I need to go check all of
those to see what happens if __BEOS__ were not defined.
Luckily there was only one other __BEOS_ in the gzip directory though:

In fcntl_.h,
#ifdef __BEOS__
/* BeOS 5 has O_BINARY and O_TEXT, but they have no effect. */
# undef O_BINARY
# undef O_TEXT
#endif

Any idea what this would mean for Haiku?

I'll check my other PC in a couple hours here, that's the one I have
the majority of my port work on, it's bound to have tons of __BEOS__
occurrences also.

Next noob question, now that I have a diff created with the -u option,
how do I change that into a usable .patch file?
And once I get the .patch file how do I check it into our repository?
I'm probably going to have lots of things to check-in once I figure
out what I am doing.  Should I just pass them through one of you for
now?
-scottmc

--
BePorts homepage - http://tools.assembla.com/BePorts