[bcbirdclub] Sunny South

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <jthill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 20:52:19 -0500

Greetings fellow listers,

Although we started the day at 40º, we finally had temperatures in the
mid-seventies today.  It actually felt much warmer after the chill of
the past few days.  We were on the road at 5:30 heading to Corkscrew.
It?s neat to be driving Alligator Alley (I-75 west from Fort Lauderdale)
as morning light comes.  The amount of bird life is amazing.  You can
see trees full of egrets, Anhingas, and others.

Corkscrew was wonderful.  We spent about 4 hours on the boardwalk.  One
highlight was the sheer number of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers.  They were,
well, thick as gnats.  We probably saw 30 or more.  Once there was a
group of probably a dozen at once.  There were the signature Wood Storks
and plenty of close up looks at Anhingas.  We also had great extended
looks at Painted Buntings (3 males and 1 female).  Jane did not swoon
today.  We also had a few warblers including Black-and-white, Common
Yellowthroat, Pine, and Ovenbird.  Great Crested Flycatchers were out
and about as well.

Outside the sanctuary, the highlight was a Limpkin.  We were cruising
down Route 29 leaving Corkscrew when I suggested that we pull over and
check the canal which was not visible from the road.  Jane asked where
and I said any place is as good as another.  She picked a spot and
stopped.  We walked across the road and almost immediately spotted the
Limpkin.  I think she?s trying to buy back all the points I earned
yesterday with the Painted Bunting and the Purple Gallinule.

Altogether today, we had 50 species.

Tomorrow we board the Big Boat and sail for Jamaica.  This is the last
report at least for a while.

Good birds for all,

Jerry