[badge] Re: Welcome!!

  • From: Ramakrishnan M <rkrishnan@xxxxxx>
  • To: badge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 15:05:57 +0530

"D. Arun Kumar" wrote:

> I'm a GPL-free-software fanatic since I read about it and RMS's story on
> www.gnu.org around mid 1997s.

That's great!! It will be really great if you could hear the audio of Stalman's
speech kept at the GNU website. They are huge. There are other audio
scar=tering around. For example the speech gi\ven by stallman at slovania.
Please hear them for more inspiration.

> The main reason I favour free software is because it increases the
> productivity. On the customer side, quality software can be used without
> worrying about high costs and on the developer side, you aren't wasting
> your time developing something someone else has already doen effectively.
> I think these two are the primary reasons for accepting free software.

You are missing the more important point of Freedom. I guess, your philosophies
are more towards the Open Source Movement than towards the Free Software
Movement. Note that I am not saying that OpenSource is bad. The advantages you
are pointing are very very valid ones, but there is more important thing called
Freedom, and that is what GNU and GPL is all about.

--
Ramakrishnan M