[AZ-Observing] Re: Saturn Image

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:41:24 -0500

---- Chris Schur <comets133@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Am I right in that this is the first close to edge on we will see soon, and
>the real edge on will occur next year?

Chris,

Yes, the current inclination is roughly 1 degree.  The rings open back up to 5
degrees next Spring due to our orbital motion before closing through edge-on in
September.  We don't get to see that, since it's lost in the sun's glare by
then.  It's all here in this plot that I created a couple months back using
JPL's Horizons ephemeris generator.

http://members.cox.net/tpolakis/astro/saturn_rings_incl1.jpg

Tom