[AZ-Observing] Re: Planets photo on NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 00:46:21 -0700

I had my eyes too far away from the monitor I guess - It's Aldebaran that's
0.84. Mercury is 2.0, easily seen in small binocs. Tonight Venus and the
Moon together were absolutely gorgeous!

Jack Jones
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Lunar List Awards and
Messier Marathon Coordinator
Phoenix AZ
spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I saw Mercury at 3-4 oclock position from the moon sliver in my 7x21 Nikon
binocs and it looked the -1 in the deeper twilite. Yes it sank fast. My
Starry Night Pro had it at -0.66 or thereabouts, not certain, didn't know it
was going to be important! Gone online for an update lately?

Jack

> my Picture of  the Day
>
> Joe Orman wrote:
>
> > rapidly dimming Mercury low in the WNW...
>   ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^
>
> Last night, I tried and failed to see Mercury among the planets.  It
> should have been a few degrees away from the moon at a 4 o'clock position,
> but I couldn't find it naked eye (forgot the binos).  Starry Night had it
> at magnitude -1, which is certainly incorrect, and Heavens Above says "?"
> for its magnitude.
>
> Here is my effort from May 13 atop Tempe Butte with a Nikon Coolpix 995
> digital camera:
>
> http://www.psiaz.com/polakis/digital_astro/planets_051302.jpg
>
> It, too, fails to show Mercury, but Mars and Saturn are visible if you put
> your eyes a few inches from your computer monitor.
>
> Tom

messages.  Thanks.