[AZ-Observing] Partial Solar Eclipse, June 10

  • From: Herve Dole <hdole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 09:56:55 -0700

Hi,

I won't be able, unfortunately, to go to the Grand Canyon Star Party. In
addition to the amazing landcapes and the beautiful dark night skies, it
will be nice to see the sunset eclipse on June 10th, with the 360 degree
flat horizon and pure athmosphere ! I hope most of you will enjoy these
moments !

Well, I'll be in Tucson that day. I was planning to go observing, as
usual, to the Sabino Canyon near my place, but because of the bad
Bullock fire, all the Coronado Natl Forest is closed. I hope by that
time the fire will be gone, but we never know. It's really dry, and it
seems relevant to close to the public these sensitive areas, while
waiting for some rain.

It's a sunset eclipse (it ends when the Sun is at 2 degrees elevation in
PHX ! if I remember correctly what I read yesterday in S&T); I was
wondering if some observing was scheduled from the west side of Tucson,
e.g past the mountains to benefit from a nice view of the horizon.
TIMPA ? Gates Pass ? Or maybe UofA Mall ?

If you have any plan or information, I'd be happy to share it !

Thanks

Herve

PS: S&T paper:
http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/eclipses/article_580_1.asp

   Dr Herve Dole             | Research Associate - Astrophysics
   Steward Observatory       | Deep Infrared Surveys SIRTF MIPS
   University of Arizona     | Phone: 520 626 2958 Fax: 520 621 9555
   933, North Cherry Avenue  | mailto:hdole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   Tucson, AZ, 85721, USA    | http://lully.as.arizona.edu/~hdole

messages.  Thanks.