[AZ-Observing] Re: Hopi Star Party

  • From: "Brent A Archinal" <barchinal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 17:29:57 -0700

I too attended the attempt at a star party for the Hopi Jr./Sr. High
School near Polacca, AZ.  Although the observing at the school was badly
limited by clouds at first, the speaker, Dr. Radford Quamahongnewa of the
Hopi Day School, did indeed give an excellent presentation on Hopi
astronomy legends.  He would be a wonderful speaker at any astronomy
convention/group meeting.

Several of us also camped at a primitive campground on the north side of
AZ 264 at the wash just east of Kykotsmovi.  Not an ideal site due to
passing cars and lights from the houses of Kykotsmovi, but darker than at
the school, and a reasonable observing site for anyone who may be passing
through that area.  And the skies cooperated quite well there, being quite
clear except for a few passing clouds near the horizon in the late
evening.

- Brent Archinal

From: Padraig Houlahan <Padraig.Houlahan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Hopi Star Party
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 20:33:50 -0700 ()

A small corection to the above...

The speaker was not me but a Hopi gentleman whose name I can't remember,
but I thought some of the legends he shared were pretty interesting
especially the concept that stars were Hopi ancestors, and that the milky
way were ancestors taking a rest and hence not shining as brightly.

P.

messages.  Thanks.