[AZ-Observing] Green Laser-Pointers as Scope Finder Pointers

  • From: Paul Dickson <dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 09:47:15 -0700

Last night, at Steve Dodder's, I finally saw a night-time use of a green
laser pointer.  The beams of lasers are visible to the eye, even between
the dust particles in the air (which were much brighter green).

Most likely due to the dust in the air, the beam of light were visible
more than 30 feet perpendicular to the beam.  We were even able to see the
spot on a mountain side one-plus miles away (perhaps Steve can give a more
correct distance).

I can't say how these affect my night vision.  The light-dome from Phoenix
was far more intrusive (only about 30-35 miles south of Chandler).

These pointers would be a VERY expensive replacement for a Telrad, but
have the distinct advantages of not having to twist your head around to
look along your scope's tube and not having to look through a magnitude
diminishing window.

These would be great for public star parties, since one person can point
out object for an entire group.  I understand EVAC purchased one just for
this purpose.

What I don't know is how annoying this would be at a really DARK site.
Attached to a scope, these would only be used intermittently, when finding
the starting point for star hopping.  Would these pointers cause Steve Coe
to go on a rampage after their novelty wore off?

        -Paul

messages.  Thanks.