[AZ-Observing] Re: Eridanus Goodies

  • From: "Bob Erdmann" <bobe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 03:06:47 -0700

Joe,

I use the historical abbreviations from the NGC, i.e. pB, R, etc. except
when size is being described.  I have a list of my eyepieces and their true
FOV in the particular telescope I'm using, so if three of the objects I'm
looking at will fit across the diameter of the FOV, and the FOV is 10
arcmin, then I can estimate the size at about 3+ arcmin for the object.  I'm
not that good at estimating magnitudes so I use pB, pF, vF, etc., unless
there's a known comparison star/object also in or nearby the field of the
object, but I try and put a number to the size since that's easy to do once
the FOV of the eyepiece is known.

/Bob