[AZ-Observing] Re: Eridanus Goodies

  • From: "Jones, Jack (AZ75)" <jack.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:42:45 -0700

Au contraire! While you are learning the meanderings of Eridanus the
wandering river, you see the pattern of the stars in the constellation, and
the distinctness of each star in the chain. Each one a jumping off point,
these can then be used for star-hopping to many good objects. Same with
other obscure constellations. Using starcharts, a Telrad, and
'star-hopping', I find them as fast as with GOTO. I rarely use actual
star-hopping; I use the deadly geometric method; I think its description is
on Bill Ferris' website. Some peoples' brains I know aren't structured this
way and have never been able to effectively use a Telrad, so it's a matter
of try it and like it or reject it. This ONLY applies in a dark sky,
otherwise fugedabowdit, use DSC or GOTO.

Jack