[AZ-Observing] Re: Digital billboards

  • From: "Dan Heim" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 22:49:50 -0700

Rick,

That is indeed the case.  What I found most heartening is how Clear Channel
is now installing their billboard lights to point down rather than up.
That's a significant concession on their part, since overhead lights require
a cherry-picker to change, whereas bottom lights can often be replaced with
just a ladder.  That's the reason most billboards have their lights at the
bottom.  Not surprisingly, it comes down to a matter of operating costs.
I've got one of those old billboards about a half-mile west of me here in
New River, and if there's any haze in the air, I can see a cone of light
extending upward nearly 30 degrees from the horizon.  Bravo Clear Channel!

Dan Heim
President
DFAC
http://www.dfacaz.org