[AZ-Observing] Re: Dave Healy

  • From: ketelsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 14:06:30 -0700

Sad news about Dave Healy.  I first met him, along with Jeff Medkeff, back in
2007 on a trip they made to the Mirror Lab with Tom and Jenn Polakis.  Having
discovered so many asteroids he was actively looking for names to nominate, so
for some reason he proposed mine!  The weekend visit also included a birding
trip to Whitewater Draw (my first), and a tour of his Junk Bond Observatory.
Living in Sierra Vista, our paths crossed rarely, but in a subsequent trip to
Whitewater, I invited him along, and asked to borrow his 400mm F/4 lens
(perfect for birding and astronomy) that he had offered on that first
trip.  He
chose not to join us, but we chatted at length about a number of topics, and
allowed me to use the lens for a few weeks to try out.  His generosity was
quite apparent, and I'll miss him a lot.
-Dean