[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet PanSTARRS briefly seen

  • From: "Ted Forte" <tedforte511@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 06:29:08 -0700

Neal Galt and I observed Comet PanSTARRS from his home east of Sierra Vista.
I picked it up in 18x50 IS binoculars at 7:05 local MST and we followed it
until it disappeared behind the mountains at approximately 7:21pm MST.  We
observed it in Neal's 25x100 mounted binos as well.  It was probably 8-10
degrees above a perfect horizon when first spotted.   Very bright coma and a
tail that I estimated at 20 minutes in length.  We both were able to pick
the comet up very briefly with the naked eye using averted vision. The time
was approximately 7:15.  A minute or two later, we could no longer see it
naked eye.

Ted Forte