[AZ-Observing] Re: Blood sacrifice for clear skies

  • From: SaguaroAstro@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 17:09:41 EST

Absolutly corect, The Lottery was a one act play by Shirley Jackson, I recall
seiing a short film of it in 6th grade and my high school drama club
performed it. (in spite of my pleas for realism, we had to use paper mache
rocks). Don't recall a mini series. I'd image they'd have to have added a lot
stuff to drag it out to mini series length. You win 1,000,000 Turkish Lira.
Don't spend it all in one place.

Anyway, Steve's optpmism to the contrary, My hope has been dashed for the
evening. Here's hoping next month is better.

Rick Tejera
Editor SACnews
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Phoenix, Arizona
SaguaroAstro@xxxxxxx
www.saguaroastro.org

In a message dated 4/6/2002 11:36:11 US Mountain Standard Time,
acmuller1@xxxxxxx writes:

> Re: The Black Dot
>
> The story "The Lottery" was also made into a TV miniseries a number of
> years
> ago and describes a New England town's centuries old ritual of sacrificing
> member of the community for the sake of the town by drawing slips of
> paper. The one with the Black Dot got stoned to death.
>
> The parallel to our situation: Ritually sacrifice a member of the amateur
> community
> each year in order to assure weekends of clear skies.
>
> Let's get a grip here. There's always another weekend.
>
> Tony Muller

messages.  Thanks.