<USS Avalon> "Heading Home" By Cmdr Skyler and Ensign Cate

  • From: CmdrSkyler@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 21:10:26 EDT

"Heading Home"
written by:
Cmdr Skyler & Ensign Cate

         The Avalon was finally going to head back home where it belonged.
There would be no more of this being in the wrong time and not supposed to be
alive business. Lt Cate had finally agreed, after much persuasion to join the
crew of the Avalon and return to its own time period.

         There would be some adjustment for her, as well as some kind of
punitive action, although with her help taken into account, it should be minor.
Now it was just a matter of waiting for everyone to get into position and then
let engineering and Anthony do the rest. Skyler had been assigned to watch over
Cate, since they had developed a rapport of some kind. So it was up to Skyler
to make sure that nothing happened or that Cate didn't try and escape at a
critical moment.

         The Lt. had been assigned to crew quarters.   It was a fairly nice
room, though spartan, and Skyler had been helping to move things around to
Cate's liking.   Through the many discussions they had been having, the two
women
had become fairly decent friends - considering.

         Giving the bed linens a final 'snap' as she laid them in place,
Lyryn turned to Skyler and remarked, "I don't think that I ever said thank you
for
sticking up for me.   You sort-of went out on a limb with your captain to
allow me to be part of this crew.   Of course, it wasn't easy to convince me
either..."  She allowed the sentence to trail off and followed it up with one
of
her crooked smiles.

        "I don't forget what it is that people do for me.   I was honest when
I said that I think you will be an asset to this crew.   And I know it wasn't
your fault the time you were born in.   I think you deserve better."  There
was an uncomfortable silence as Skyler turned to stare out into the darkness of
space.

        "So, anyway," Lyryn said, noticing Skyler's discomfort and changing
the subject.  "How are we going to do this?  Me, I mean.  I know that everyone
will have to have their memories of this little future trip erased.   But I
only have memories of your 'future', so how will this work for me?   I don't
know if I want to give up every memory I've ever had."

     Skyler continued to look into the darkness of space. She wasn't sure how
to answer that question herself. She didn't know if they would lose all their
memory or part of it. Slowly she turned around and looked at Lyryn.

     "To be honest Lyryn, I don't have an answer for you. I know that Mr.
Manson was working on something but other than that I am just as lost as you
are.
I hope that we will be able to keep our memories but that is a risk we are
going to have to take."

     Skyler was hoping that they would all get to keep their memories both of
the past and the future. But the first goal was to get home. "Let's just
concentrate on getting home for now. With any luck we will return safely and in
one piece."

     Skyler sat down and was deep in thought. For a few minutes the room was
filled with tension. Then Skyler looked up at Lyryn and remarked.

     "Ya know, with all that we have been through, first as enemies, then
prisoner's and now as crew mates, I have to admit, that outside of Georgia and
my
husband Mehdi, you have become one of my closest friends. You are easy to
talk to. I hope that we remain friends."

       Lyryn was taken aback at Skyler's statement.  She flinched slightly
and quickly blinked, not knowing what to say.  Skyler had never seen the Lt.
unsettled and at a loss for words like that.  There was another uncomfortable
silence.

      What was she supposed to say to that?  Close friends?  Lyryn had never
really stuck around in one place to develop a deep friendship with anyone
before.  The closest would have to be James, her engineer friend on the
Tempest.
And even then, they had only shared a love for Shakespeare and red wine.  He
had been a companion to take the edge off lonely nights, no real romance, no
deep friendship.

      After a several moment's silence, Cate looked intensely at Skyler and
gave her an honest, "Thank you."  She then excused herself to the restroom.
Lyryn stared at her image in the polished mirror.  There were so many thoughts
running through her mind that she couldn't seem to grasp a single one of them
and turn it into a cognizant idea.  She just experienced flashes of growing up;
the General, the Galidor family who had been her favorite adoptive couple,
some of the instructors she had come to respect, and...James.  The last image
was of one of his impish smiles over a witty comment that had been said.  Did
she care for him more than she thought?

     Sucking in a large breath, she admonished herself for such a display of
lack of control.  She was a woman of action or inaction by choice, not by
chance or emotion.  Why had Skyler's words moved her so?  She just didn't
understand.

     Skyler wondered what she had said that caused Lyryn to act so strangely.
All she had done was hope that they would remain friends. For some reason
this seem to bother Cate. Skyler was at a loss for words. She didn't understand
what was going on. All she did was tell the truth.

     "Lyryn, are you all right? Did I say something to upset you? If so, I am
sorry. Are you going to hide in there all day or are you going to come out so
we can discuss this?"

     Skyler waited for several minutes with no reply. Now she was getting
.....ticked off....curious.....upset. She didn't know what she was. All she
knew
was that she had extended her hand in friendship and this was not the response
she expected nor wanted. Now she didn't know what to do........

     Lyryn heard Skyler, but she didn't trust her voice to speak.  She was
using her breathing techniques to calm herself.  Why had Skyler's words upset
her so?  Perhaps she just wasn't used to people being so honest about
friendship
and feelings.  Or maybe it just...touched her in ways no one had before.

      After a few minutes, Cate had come to a decision and felt in control of
herself enough to leave the restroom.  She opened the door silently and
stepped out of the bathroom to face Skyler.

     "I hope we remain friends as well,"  she said with a genuine smile,
though there was a hint of trepidation behind her eyes.

      Skyler's brow furrowed as she gave Lyryn an apprising stare.  "Yes,
well.."

     "Skyler, I have a favor to ask," Lyryn interrupted.  "I know it is most
likely imposing upon our friendship, as you have already done so much for me,
but I...I must at least try."

      Lyryn's bluntness surprised Skyler into silence.  All she could do is
listen to the Lt.'s request.

      "I mentioned a friend of mine - James.  He's in engineering on the
Tempest.  Is there any way...I mean would it be possible to - help him as
well?"
Lyryn posed her question quietly and with no little amount of unease.

      Skyler never knew what to expect from Cate anymore.  Just when she
thought that she had her figured out to a degree - calm, rational responses or
stoic silence; a quirky smile - Lyryn seemed to surprise her yet again.

         Again Skyler looked at Cate, "You sure do ask a lot. I can't make
any guarantees. Where is he now?"

         Lyryn gave Skyler his location and had him beamed aboard just as the
ship was about to leave this time and head for its own. She wasn't too sure
how the captain was going to take this, but as usual, she was use to being in
the hot seat. If nothing else they got a new crew member out of the deal.

         "Ensign Cate you are going to owe me for a very long time, I do hope
you realize that.  Now I suggest that you remain in your quarters here with
James and explain the situation to him, while I go and deal with the Captain."

         "Understood, Commander," Lyryn said with the biggest smile that
Skyler had seen yet.
         Skyler left the two talking, but not after giving Lyryn a grin. She
was off to face the Captain and then find her husband for a long overdue
honeymoon.