<USS Avalon> D.A.B.D.A.- Pondering Fate: Bargaining- Part 3 by Lieutenant Alder Shimbrodus

  • From: Anthony Manson <circus_ofde_damned@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Avalon Sim <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 01:30:48 -0700 (PDT)

D.A.B.D.A: Pondering Fate

Bargaining- Part 3

by Lieutenant Alder Shimbrodus

I looked around the vegetation of what seems to be trees. Green and full, tall
and strong, piercing the skies. But as I looked at it, my mind swiftly turn to
the sky, which then I became confused by the sight of the clear blue sky.
Something fuzzed the image. It was grey, slowly mixing in. I tilted my head,
not getting the sight before me as I stared blankly at it, how is the sky
swirling like a whirlpool? But then I turned my head and saw fire. And suddenly
it was a whole lot closer than I previously saw it. The heat was intense enough
that I instinctively wiped the sweat from my forehead which then crystalized on
my skin and slowly evaporated like sand blown from the wind. And smoke filled
my nose, stinging it with the burned smell of metal. I walked towards the fire,
as it pulled back further. The ground was clean...too clean, untouched and
pristine as marble itself. I walked towards the fire, wanting, needing, to
know...something.

And then it became further. Moving faster than my eyes could process. I
realized I was being pulled away from it and when I came to that realization, I
began to run. To run as fast as my legs could take me. And I felt pulled back
even faster as I now saw a planet, and it became smaller by the second. The
stars streaked by me again, and my legs kept running. My body, my mind, wanted
nothing more than to go back to that place. To see what was there, to
find...someone. I didn?t know who that someone was but I had to keep running.
It was the only way to get back, the only way to find out...something.

The stars stopped passing me by, the nebulas became big again, and there just
happened to be a sun set right next to me. But I didn?t stop, I ran. Running as
fast as I could. Nothing stopped me, nothing pulled me, instead I was pushed
forward this time and the next thing I knew I was looking over...my twin. His
eyes shut, his face at peace. He looked asleep, and it didn?t matter what
happened, he would never wake again. I was holding my twin, and it all didn?t
make sense to me.

And then it morphed, it went to my father, my mother, my brother, my sisters,
and it morphed repeatedly until they vanished from my arms. I was kneeling, I
don?t remember kneeling. I saw a skimmer, in flames, and none of it made sense.
I looked down and the world started to crumble before me, and all I saw was my
twin, and the sense that he was dead clouded my thoughts and became the only
answer to this dream. He was dead and in my arms again. His eyes opened and
looked at me, brown eyes piercing to the back of my head and as I became
transfixed, I saw a ship wondering the spaceways; so far away. Away from home.
Those eyes closed slowly and I knew it would never open again. I suddenly felt
tired. So tired. They were gone. All of them, and I screamed. I screamed until
the planet heard me, I screamed until the crumbling of this reality desolved
around me, until I was heard by everyone. Anyone.

The blackness engulfed me and all I could do was scream, helpless from this all.

?//\\?

I opened my eyes to find myself alone in the dark. My quarters, devastated. I
didn?t remember falling asleep. And I especially didn?t remember being on the
couch. It was just a dream, but it was clear enough. It was still fresh in my
mind, and unlike most dreams, this didn?t want to fade away quickly. It stayed
with me like glue. I sat up, placing a PADD that was evidently resting on my
chest onto the coffee table. If what was left of the half broken object could
be called a table.

I knew what the PADD had in it. It was a report of my family?s death. How it
came to be, what had transpired after the accident, everything. Yet it didn?t
seem to make sense to me. Maybe it was their death, or the events that led to
it. I don?t know, but now I face the task of having to work through this.

Deneva at this time was in a red zone when it came to vacationing. Everyone
from countless of places came here to just enjoy the scenery and have a good
time. Not surprising, Deneva had a desirable climate and landscape to bask in
the beauty of. My family at this busy vacation times, decided to take a trip to
New Singapore. New Singapore was on the other side of the Deneva?s main
continent, a small enough island that had just been populated. Not many knew of
it, but those who did knew the amount of back reservations it had for a visit.

They were on their way to the terminal and checked out a skimmer large enough
for ten people. Considering that there was less then ten, the free space was
just that. They made their way. Roughly four to five hours after they left the
terminal, reports of an accident on main highway 138 came in. A five skimmer
crash that result in the destruction of three out of the five skimmers. One of
those skimmers was my family.

And the worst part was that it was caused by one person. One drunk person
piloting a skimmer at velocities that were too ridiculous to believe crashed
into another skimmer causing a domino effect. My family was in that domino
effect. Caught right in the middle of it.

After the mess that was created were cleaned up, the bodies of the five
skimmers were transported to the same hospital. Because there was no one to
intervene against an autopsy, the doctors conducted it and drew out a report
stating that several things happened before death. The driver, the person
responsible, was intoxicated beyond the safety limit. His motor functions were
suspected of not even there in his already languid coherency. Authorities were
questioning how he had managed to get out onto a busy highway without no one
stopping him.

As for my family, David died instantaneously, more then eighty-five percent of
his body was burned. But it was the debris that killed him. Jake, my oldest
brother, died right on impact. He was at the back of the skimmer as it toppled
over and smashed him against the concrete divider that split the opposing
traffic. Elana was pretty much the same- and it was discovered that she was two
months pregnant. Alexia was the same way in cause of death. The only survivors
that held on til the last minute and down to the second was my brother Matt,
and my mom, Alicia. Both fell out of the skimmer and were the only two visible
survivors of the crash. The med units tried stabilizing Matt, but he died on
the way to the hospital. And my mom died in the emergency room.

There...there was nothing the doctors could have done. So said the reports.
They tried reviving them, hoping to get them back, but they stopped after two
minutes of trying.

Starfleet Command sent their condolences with the offer of linking the
holoemitters from Deneva to here in order to at least be present for the
funeral. They realized that no transports were heading that way, or that way in
the given time span for the funeral. It was a very kind offer, one I knew I had
to take- even if my entire mind wanted to run away from it, refusing to accept.
I would have to send a message back as soon as possible. The news of my
family?s death was almost two weeks old and the Shimbrodus family were waiting
on me to make my decision, or go one without me if I didn?t make one.

They should?ve taken the transporters, and why wouldn?t they? What if they took
their time getting there instead of rushing? What if they postponed it until
Elana had her baby? What if I was there? What if we were home sooner? Maybe
things would have been different.

I looked outside my window, the only lasting image in my head was the fact I
was on a desolate world, barren, desolate, and alone. It was as if the black
void shut me out only to redeposit me some place else. But that was all I
remembered.

It?s becoming a whole lot more numb. It was like a wall was preventing me from
fully letting my emotions go and I was trapped within it, never to come out.

It didn?t make sense. What can I do? What will I do?

I looked out again, and this time, I realize my answer. But it didn?t really
clarify anything, much as it was an adequate answer. It was just there. And I
took it, after all, what other alternative was there? The answer was simple:
nothing.

There was nothing I could do...